Architecture of ICC Kyoto

The Design

Sachio Otani

The Architect : Sachio Otani

The Design

For the first time in Japan, the design was chosen via a public design competition. Of the 195 entries, the work submitted by Sachio Otani was selected as the most outstanding design.
Construction began on January 24, 1964, and was completed on March 20, 1966. The conference center opened on May 21 of that year.
Construction of the first addition to the center was decided as needs relating to press center functions increased. Additional construction was thus undertaken for a joint press conference room, a press center and a banquet hall (Sakura). Work was completed in December 1972.
Later, an event hall was added in response to growing demand for display facilities. Event Hall can be used for many purposes, in addition to exhibitions and displays. Construction of the hall began in July 1983, and finished in April 1985.
The conference center buildings have received high acclaim from the start. They draw on the traditional beauty of Japanese architecture and feature spatial beauty worthy of an international conference center. In 1998, they were selected for inclusion in the <Best 100 Public Buildings>, a project commemorating the 50th anniversary of establishment of the Ministry of Construction. In 2003, the Architectural Institute of Japan included the conference center in its <Best 100 Examples of Modern Movement Architecture in Japan>. Selection was based on the composition of esthetic lines and facets originating in rationalist concepts, and other features of the 18th and 19th centuries.

Architect:Sachio Otani(1924-2013)

A noted Japanese architect Sachio Otani was born in Tokyo, and in 1946 graduated from the University of Tokyo and completed a masters degree in 1951.
He began his career in Kenzo Tange's studio, where he helped design many important post-war projects including the Hiroshima Peace Memoreal Museum and former Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building.
In 1960 he started his own practice and has subsequently designed a number of memorable buildings including the Kanazawa Institute of Technology(1969), Okinawa Convention Center(1987), and Chiba City Museum of Art & Chiba City Central Ward Office(1994).

Interior Designer:Isamu Kenmochi(1912-1971)

A pioneer of Japanese industrial design Isamu Kenmochi was born in Tokyo, and started working on a standard prototype of chair with Kappei Toyoguchi under Bruno Taut at the National Academy of Industrial Arts in Japan.
He also worked together with Isamu Noguchi on several projects.
In 1952, he founded the Japan Industrial Designers Association with Sori Yanagi and others, and in 1955 he established his Design Laboratory.
After that, he received Gold prize for his work at the Japanese display at the World Exhibition in Brussels(1958).
His most famous work, the Lounge Chair, was selected as a permanent exhibit in the Museum of Modern Art in New York.

Decorations and furnishings inside the center

  • image
  • image
  • image
  • image
  • image
  • image
  • image
  • image
  • image
  • image
  • image
  • image
  • image
  • image
  • image

Outline of Construction

Location 422 Iwakura Oosagi-cho, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto city
Structure SRC/some RC
Scale Land area:156,000m² Total floor space:46,743m²
PhaseT Main Building Basement・6 ground floors・2 towers
Land area : 154,200m² Total floor space:27,092m²
Building opened : May 21, 1966
Architect : Sachio Otani
Furniture : Isamu Kenmochi Design Laboratory(General Furniture), Kenji Fujimori Design Office(Gallery seating・Delegation seating at MH)
Art : AAA(Association des Artistes pour l'Architecture), Toko Shinoda, Kumi Sugai and others
Supervision : Kinki Regional Development Bureau
PhaseUMain Building Basement・3 ground floors
Total floor space:7,220m²
Building opened : Jan 8, 1973
Architect : Sachio Otani
Furniture : Isamu Kenmochi Design Laboratory, Motoko Ishii Design Laboratory and others
Supervision : Kinki Regional Development Bureau
EH and Lodging Facilities Basement・3 ground floors
Total floor space : 8,608m²
Building opened : April 2, 1985
Architect : Sachio Otani & Associates
Supervision : Kinki Regional Development Bureau
Annex Hall Basement・3 ground floors
Total floor space : 3,700m²
Building opened : April 1, 1998
Architect : Sachio Otani & Associates
Supervision : Kinki Regional Development Bureau

Rebar reinforced concrete pillars and walls set at sixty eight degree inclines, as well as lateral floor joists, make repeatedly overlapping trapezoidal and inverted trapezoidal shapes in this solidly constructed building.Japanese landscape garden is made more beautiful by surrounding Lake Takaragaike.The Kyoto International Conference Center, situated at the base of Mt. Hiei and nestled among tranquil mountains was designed by architect Sachio Otani, under the concepts of "People gather and communicate in nature" and" Harmonize with the natural surroundings and the atmosphere of Japan's ancient capital, Kyoto. "In addition, many furniture and interior decoration is the work of the late interior designer Isamu Kenmochi.
We would like to introduce to you the various episodes regarding architectural aspects of our building ,referred to as one of the representative works of Modernist Architecture in Japan.

  • ICC Kyoto Modern ArchitecturreT
  • ICC Kyoto Modern Architecture V
  • Architecture and Furniture T
  • The Interaction between Architecture and Art
  • ICC Kyoto Modern Architecture U
  • ICC Kyoto Modern Architecture W
  • Architecture and Furniture U
  • Encounter Authentic Japanese Culture

Reference

  • "Architecture and Society" June issue, 1966, published by the Japan Architecture Association
  • "Architecture of the Kyoto International Conference Hall", published by Kyoto International Conference Hall
  • "The architecture of the Kyoto International Conference Hall", published by Kyoto International Conference Hall
  • "The Interaction between Architecture and Art - Challenges of ICC Kyoto - ", 1999・Hounsai Soshitsu Sen XV konomimono jusei Vol. 3: Tea Ceremony Room
  • Matsushita Shinshin-an Tea Ceremony Room Book published by Tankosha